e hënë, 22 janar 2007

What is Worship?

Last night was one of mine and Brooke's (and the kids) favorite Sunday nights of the month. Huddles night! We can't say enough about what a wonderful ministry this is and how blessed we are to a part of it. I think we were literally the last couple added to the mix this year and it has turned out to be a great decision for us. We are so blessed to be working with the 9th graders at Mayfair. They are a great group of young people that we have the opportunity to help mentor. It's great having Chris & Stacy and Ryan & Joy there as our partners in this. I think each of our families have been blessed, and I hope we are somehow returning the favor to the kids.

Last night (after Pizza and before a rowdy game of "Honey I Love You but I Just Can't Smile! - thanks Chris!), we talked about the idea of Worship. When I was a 9th grader, worship to me was exactly what the world seems to define it as, going to church on Sunday morning. It was not until much later (and I'm still learning today), that God has called us to something so much greater than corporate worship. Our communal worship is often a highlight, but it's the ins and outs of our daily life that can be the sweet fragrance of worship to God. Paul defines it for us in Romans 12 where he tells us the true act of spiritual worship is to be Holy...set apart for God. That goes so much deeper than what many of us are willing to do. Being set apart for God is much more than calling ourselves a Christian because we attend church; it's a lifestyle characterized by not just knowing about God, but knowing God on a deep, relational level. It means being set apart in our speech and our actions. Did you do that today? As I reflect back on the day, there were many times where I just blended in. Just last night, I challenged the kids to be set apart, to be holy, but did I uphold myself to that same challenge? Probably not. The good news, however, is that God calls me back to His throne once again, just as He always has. Tonight and tomorrow, I'll try once again to present my life as a worship to our Creator.

2 komente:

Ashley @ pure and lovely tha...

Hey Thomas! three kiddos...I can't believe it! This is Ashley (Malone) Mills, btw. Good to see you on here!

Jason tha...

Awesome stuff, man. Glad to hear your Huddle group went well.